Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Coconut Love

For those of you who know me, I just love my coconut.  Coconut in any form - water, fresh meat, flakes, desicated coconut, milk, cream, coconut butter and today's subject coconut oil.

I use coconut oil for cooking, for my skin, for my son's kerotosis on his arms and I am in the process of experimenting with it to get rid of a skin condition I have called granuloma annulare which doctors have said can only be treated with steroids (injecting straight into the problem area - so very painful).

There is also some interesting information going around regarding the use of coconut oil in the fight against Dementia, as this is a problem close to home it something I will continue to read up on.

Anyways, yesterday I did a little happy dance in the local supermarket. For the first time, I found a jar of virgin, cold pressed, unrefined organic coconut oil right there on the shelves.  I didn't have to go to a speciality health shop, it was just there ready for me to buy. Maybe this healthy eating thing is catching on?

Because I use it for everything I buy a jar of coconut oil every couple of weeks. I know there are some of you out there who have bought it knowing it is good for you, but don't have any idea what to do with it (not naming any names..) so it just sits there in your cupboard getting lonely.  No more people, it's time to crack the seal on that jar of goodness and reap some of the benefits:
  • Helps optimise body weight, decreasing your risk of diabetes
  • Helps control food cravings such as sugar addiction
  • Great for cooking as it can't be destroyed by heat
  • Fantastic natural moisturiser that helps prevent wrinkles
  • A perfect chemical free weekly hair treatment
  • High in lauric acid (breast milk is the only other source) which is toxic to viruses and bacteria
  • Could help combat tooth decay
  • Contains no cholesterol or harmful trans-fats
  • Improves digestive health
How much coconut oil should you have?
Are you ready ... between 2 and 4 tablespoons a day! If you have been on a low fat diet I strongly suggest starting off with maybe a teaspoon and working your way up slowly ... otherwise, well it involves running!

So there you have it, enjoy some with your dinner tonight ... maybe with some panfried asparagus with a dash of chilli and lemon?

If you are already a fan, what's your favourite use?



Reference (1)


1 comment:

  1. I love coconut! I had no idea it had so many health benefits...

    This is Katie from Real Food Katie's Way by the way...I can't seem to enter my name/url so that's why I am posting as anonymous.

    Last week I made coconut "whipped cream" which is really just chilled whipped coconut milk and MAN was it great! I may never make whipped cream again!

    ReplyDelete