Sunday, October 21, 2012

Colour me Happy!

Source
Seriously, how amazing does that look! Finally the Colour Run has hit the shores of Australia and I'm just a tad excited - which is a bugger because the race isn't run in Sydney until Feb. If you haven't heard about the race, everyone starts dressed in white and then at each km mark you are showered with (safe) colour and and the end come out like a rainbow.  What is not to love?

Actually, I can tell you what is not to love. Being weighed and measured for my PT sessions at the gym. I know you need a base line (and body measurements are great for this), but for me being weighed is just all negative ... I now have a number (which I'm not loving) burned in my brain and that paired with the fact that I am 3cm shorter than I used to be, does not make for a happy girl.  

Anyways, moving on - recipe of the day ... I have a serious addiction to tabbouleh. Honestly I could eat it with every meal, but along with some of my other fav food foods, it has had to be pushed aside as it contains burghul (crushed wheat). That really didn't bode will with me, so have come up with an awesome alternative which is so good for you there's no reason not to eat it.

(Wheat Free) Tabbouleh

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked quinoa (I used red) 
1.5-2 bunches of parsley 
Handful of mint
4-5 tomatoes (seeds removed)
1 roasted pepper (just cause I had one)
1 small red onion finely chopped

Dressing
Juice of 3 lemons
2 tablespoons of evoo
2 garlic cloves
Seasoning to taste (I use Trocomare)
Good shake of sumac (I forgot to put in this time but would be a great addition to the salad)

Cook the quinoa according to directions (and cool). Rinse the parsley in the sink and give it a really good shake to get all the excess water out, pat with a paper towel. Finely chop the parsley and mint and add to bowl. Throw in the quinoa and give a stir. Chop the tomatoes, roasted pepper (if you are using), and red onion into the bowl and give another stir. 

Meanwhile in a jar, throw in the lemon juice, evoo, garlic and whizz with a hand mixer. Season to taste.  Throw over the salad and give a good stir. Cover with freshly cracked pepper.  

Serve and enjoy.

Why so good?
Full of good healthy food colours (dark greens, reds and purples) and protein in the form of quinoa.  This salad is jampacked with vitamins C, A and K, antioxidants, and flavour.

10 comments:

  1. The Color Fun sounds seriously fun! It would make for some great photos too, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting to hear when the Colour Run is in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast because I want to enter as well - it looks like it will be so much fun.
    Today am trying to book accommodation for Warrior Dash in Kilcoy next month.
    Have a great day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Me ... I reckon there will be one up there, otherwise you will just have to come and do my one with me!! You will love the warrior dash -so much fun - where is Kilcoy?

      Delete
  3. I'm sure there will be one near you ... I think my boys are going to run it tooxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Marcy that was for you ... not sure what happened there! Big love

      Delete
    2. Oh boy, I would have to train again. Maybe I could be the photographer! :)

      Delete
  4. Katie from RFKW here...It must be an Ipad thing because I can't leave my name and URL when I comment...

    ANYWAY I know what you mean about the number being burned in your brain...It's tough not to focus on it but you just have to focus on the healthy things you are doing for your body! If you focus on the number you could miss out on so many postives!

    PS that run looks fantastic...Though it would drive me nuts to be dirty like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a Color Run close to here but I couldn't make it that weekend. So bummed about it still :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sydney color run has sold out =) we were lucky to get tickets =) i'll see you there hun <3 Kate S x

    I"m so excited it's for a great cause and i've heard to many amazing reviews =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you signed up wooo woooooo

    ReplyDelete